Cell Phone Etiquette
Etiquette in the News
Etiquette Site Map
The Everything Wedding Organizer: Checklists, Calendars, and Worksheets for Planning the Perfect Wedding
The Etiquette On Distributing Wedding Favors
Making a faux pas during the wedding ceremony or at the wedding reception is every bride's nightmare. It is best to acquaint yourself with the etiquette related to various wedding traditions so there is no chance of a goof up. Distributing wedding favors can also get tricky if you don't know what to do. Here are some tips on handling different wedding favor situations.
- The classic distribution of wedding favors requires you to place one favor at each place setting. For this kind of distribution you need to purchase one favor for each guest including children. You also want to buy some extras in case of damage or unexpected guests. An excess of 5% of the expected wedding guests is recommended. It's better to have a few leftover favors than to seat guests without favors.
- If your wedding favors budget is a bit tight, why not give out one wedding favor per couple? This method will cut your wedding favors budget into half. The way to go about sharing wedding favors is to place the favor between the couple with a card stating both their names so they know the favor is to be shared. If you skip the card, it could cause embarrassing scenes so be extra careful. In such cases, it is best to choose wedding favors that have a 'couple' theme like chocolate covered Jordan almonds in a bride & groom theme or a photo frame with place for two photos. Children & young adults get their own wedding favors, as do singles without a date. Please DO NOT expect siblings to share. That's a guaranteed recipe for failure.
- If your wedding favors are part of a bigger theme like having a fruit table for desert and giving away chocolate dipped strawberries as favors, then it might be a wise idea to arrange for a center display. Place all the favors on a single beautifully decorated table in fancy baskets or with elegant decorations. The table could also be part of your wedding décor. Add a note requesting the guests to help themselves to a wedding favor each. Make sure you keep extras at the table in case of damage or double dipping.
- You can also place the wedding favors directly in the cars of your guests. Ask the valet to place your wedding favor in the guests' cars. This can get tricky if guests are pooling in and driving to the wedding together. But what a lovely surprise for your guests when they think the event is over only to find an unexpected favor waiting for them.
- In case you are having a buffet instead of a sit-down dinner, then it is best to place the favors at a table near the exit. Add a small note thanking the guests and requesting them to take a favor each. This also saves the guests the trouble of carrying around their wedding favors during the wedding and the chance that they could forget it at the table or elsewhere. Of course, if you plan to do this, you cannot buy wedding favors that are to be used during the ceremony. Bells to be rung as a signal for the couple to kiss, server sets to use for the cake cutting ceremony and bubbles to blow at the departing couple are all eliminated. So choose your wedding favor carefully.
There are many wedding etiquette do's and don'ts for the ceremony and the reception and often traditions should be followed. But keep in mind that the wedding belongs to the bride and the groom and should they choose to ignore the protocol of customary wedding etiquette it is a forgivable offense. The day is after all their celebration of union and joy. Any choice they make that make them happy is the proper choice. About the Author
About the Author:
Copyright © 2006-2007 123Etiquette.com | All Word Rights Reserved
Everything Wedding Etiquette!
Got To Read: